Friday, February 25, 2011

Friday Fav - For Black History Month

I ran across this anecdote as re-printed in the Falmouth Pendletonian, August 4, 1881. The paper it came from is a little known title from the Pendleton County Kentucky area. After a brief review, it appears to be a little more political in nature than the Falmouth Outlook that followed later and still exists today. I also found it interesting that less than 20 years after the Civil War, this border state county, very close to the Ohio River, was still publishing a prominent piece about the previous abolitionist movement - just under the masthead. Curious - perhaps a reason to further investigate the racial relations of this small county?
Anyway, a wonderful funny for a Friday afternoon! Sojourner Truth - gotta love this American heroine and national treasure!
CD
2/25/11

2 comments:

Kathy Reed said...

I absolutely love this post. My husband has family from Falmouth. Interesting area.

Also, on your post after this one, I've had tremendous luck and tremendous frustration with the digitized newspapers. I've been waiting for a year and a half for them to scan in a few issues of a paper from Mt. Sterling, KY. They insisted it would be finished early last summer. I don't know what the hold up is, but it is a town and dates I'm really interested in. On the other hand, I wouldn't have had a brick wall come tumbling down if it weren't for the digital newspapers the Lexington library has online.

Unknown said...

Thanks Kathy! Hmmm, if you wanted to give me the title/dates you were waiting on, I can pass those on to see what the hold-up might be. I do know we had a big change in administration that took place last summer and it did affect that department....maybe I can get a better update for you?

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates