Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Willow Magic at the Stroke of Midnight!

It is that magical time of year, dear readers, when this genealogy addict flies off the handle and takes her blog on a flight of fancy! I beg indulgence once again as I attend the annual Willow Manor Ball! Held each each year by prolific and talented blogger/poetess, Tess Kincaid, it has become the cyber event of the year. When the invitations came around again this year, I scurried away to find just the right accoutrements, and the perfect date! The rules are simple: you have been invited to attend a magical ball at Willow Manor. This event is magical because time and human flaws do not exist! You may look any way you wish (Jean Harlowesque figure), dress any way you wish (money is no object), dance like a master, and your date can be anyone you choose since time does not exist here. In retrospect, this is not that out of character for a historian - after all, in order to do what we do, we must have complex and advanced imaginations in order to visualize what life was like before our time! Blog about your adventure and then visit the Life at Willow Manor blog to post your evening's report. Things get started at midnight, so off to the ball we go! BTW, there is one other way to attend, simply visit Ms. Kincaid's blog and leave a comment - but where is the fun in that?! Let your imagination loose for a change and dust off those magical dancing shoes! Blogging/comment entries are allowed for 24 hours beginning at the stroke of midnight, October 12th.....follow me, and I'll show you where my imagination took me this year.....

So, last year, my choice was extremely hard, but I settled on a light blue with silver trim dress, accented by diamonds - moonlight itself was my theme, but it had a hard argument to make when my other choice was so tempting - night itself. This year was easier as I knew the darkness, with a hint of blue would set off our dancing in a beautiful way.....I am of course talking about Sapphire. I almost chose a more Mad Men 50s/60s flare of the skirt, but was drawn back into a more sleek and sultry cut. After all, with this figure, why hide it on a night like this? Besides, when I think of "evening gown", I think long and flowing, something that drapes and silhouettes the body in a manner that is elegant, yet seductive. This sapphire blue gown was exactly what I had in mind, and fit like a kid glove.....

Only to be perfectly accented with the following....
This gorgeous necklace that drapes downward to follow some of the plunging neckline....yet with diamonds.....both whispering the phrase "Starry Night".
To continue this mix of rich hues and sparkles of light, these gorgeous pumps.....
Further accented by this amazingly unique handbag - slipping back into a little art deco element - my design motif of weakness!
Once my shopping was complete, I needed  one more perfect element - a special date for the evening. After last year's date, William Powell, made such a grand and dashing entrance, I was at a loss for this year's selection. After all, I refuse to give up any of my fantastical requirements for the perfect date: he must be able to walk into a room with an air of confidence and debonair charm. He must be able to carry a tux like he was born in one. He must be able to dance beautifully, and above all, he must make me laugh! No ultra serious men will have the honor of my company for the ball. The perfect mix lies in that sophisticated, intelligent, charming man, who is confident enough to smile and laugh in a way that proves he is enjoying life to the fullest! Throw in a charming British accent, and you have: David Niven.
After reviewing David's offer, it was discovered, that he was not only an amazing actor, completely charming and witty fellow, but a war hero, and overall honorable guy - who also loved to laugh! It was said that "Niv was the twinkling star, the meteor who lit up every room he entered." I always loved him as an actor, and for tonight, he is not the older, gruffer actor I remember, but the young, witty, with a dash of slap-stick actor that I remember so fondly from his 1939 stint with Ginger Rogers in The Bachelor Mother.....move over Ginger, this time it's my turn to dance with the legendary twinkling star of Hollywood! 
See you all next year! Thanks to Ms. Kincaid for another triumphant ball!

13 comments:

Kerry said...

You look so lovely in blue; it's perfect. That necklace is a treasure!

Anonymous said...

Such elegance...the magpie in me covets your jewels.

Unknown said...

"The Moon's A Balloon"...what a lucky girl you are. Niven!

Yoli said...

You were a vision my dear!

Unknown said...

All perfect choices. The gown, the necklace, the shoes and the perfect bag!
Niven is just right. Perfection. Great posture, lovely presence, sophisticated without being aloof and will never tarnish your reputation. And when he speaks, the accent; to die for.
Only one question, how did you wear your hair?

Isabel Doyle said...

sapphires are my favourites
you look devine

Jeffery said...

A vision of Elegance!

Helen said...

Those SHOES! And David Niven? My cup runneth over ... you looked smashing!

Margaret said...

Clark Gable is at the Willow Ball... lets' hope Cary Grant is too! here is a photo of them laughing together at another place and time:

http://www.life.com/gallery/22832/image/50437537/classic-oscar-photos-the-1950s#index/29

Let's hang for a while at the bar and let them entertain us why don't we?

And your dress, shoes... the whole thing... it's my absolute favorite so far. You are stunning, darling.

Shari said...

You look stunning. Love the accessories. The deep blue. Moonlight itself.

Carolina Linthead said...

My goodness, but you look lovely! If Mr. Niven does not mind, I would be honored to take a turn or two around the dance floor. We can talk history to our hearts' content :-)

Kristen Haskell said...

Wow you look sensational. I better keep Eugene occupied or I might get jealous

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, how I loved your cobalt blue ensemble! Thanks for making the Willow Manor Ball 2011 so very enjoyable...

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates